Saturday, July 30, 2011

Life After Camp

I've just returned from a week of summer camp at my favorite island home. I would be sharing pictures but my poor little camera got soaked on a canoe trip. My camera is now sitting in a bowl of rice in hopes that it will recover.

Camp is a really important thing for me. I've been going to this place for six years and this was my last year as a camper. One whole week of being on an island, (ideally) without cell phones or iPods, having fun with each other (like star tipping) is such a different thing in this era, but it's been real. When I started out, I never thought that the island would mean so much to me. Now I can't imagine never going back (so it's lucky for me I can return as a leader next year).

The philosophy that guides this camp is that of the Four-Fold, or the ideal of living a fully balanced life mentally, physically, socially, and religiously. I've tried to apply it to my own life, and although it's very difficult to start, once you do try it, it's worth it. Kind of like water skiing (which I also did at camp). It's tough to do it, but it's really worth it in the end. Stepping out of your comfort zone is hard, but the results? Priceless.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment